Turmeric, a member of the ginger family, has been shown in several studies to have anti-inflammatory benefits and is helpful in liver detoxification. Your liver is one of the most important detoxifying organs of the body and it is important for your longterm health. Turmeric is one of the best liver detoxifiers and curcumin is a phytonutrient that gives turmeric its bright yellow color. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, “curcumin stimulates production of bile by the gallbladder. The liver uses bile to eliminate toxins; bile also rejuvenates liver cells that breakdown harmful compounds.” For this reason, turmeric has been used to treat digestion and liver disorders. It has also been used to help reverse fatty liver disease.
Tumeric is easy and cheap so why not simply add it routinely to your diet. You can juice the root, add it to your tea, and use the spice in your curry and soups. This spice can help you detox and also benefits the body in many ways, see the photo below.
Turmeric-Ginger All power-Detox Soup
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (or you can use 3 teaspoons fresh turmeric, finely grated)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups water (filtered is best)
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lime or lemon juice ( to taste)
- ½ cup brown rice (dry)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (or a tin, drained)
- 1 tin tomatoes ( or 1-2 cups fresh, diced tomatoes)
- Coriander as garnish (optional)
This is what you do:
- In a large soup pan, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger. Lower heat to medium low and sauté 5 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Then add all the spices and cook 1 more minute.
- Add water, stock and sea salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add vinegar or lemon.
- Adjust salt and spices to your taste.
- Add brown rice, beans, and tomatoes. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is done.
You can refrigerate or freeze this soup in batches for later use.
Join the Juice Club and enjoy the health benefits from taking SuperFoods Juices regularly.
This is what The Juice Club offers:
• Permanently reduced prices
• Automated ordering
• Monthly payment
• Free shipping
• Health tips by leading wellness coaches
• Free goodie products & exclusive offers
• Easy automated ordering at your convenience with BIG Savings.
AND you can chancel or postpone any time you want- easy & with no fuss!